View Single Post
Old May 3, 2015, 11:08 AM   #18
slim9300

SCAR 16: overpriced?

Nobody has said anything about the ergonomics, but for me that is a big factor. I feel the rifle (my pops owns one) is awkward and bulky. It feels like a brick in comparison to my favorite AR-15 setup. His rifle is also pretty noisy (as in rattling) when you move the rifle around quickly or shake it.

Any gas piston impingement AR-15 will have similar recoil to the SCAR if you can adjust the gas. Surprisingly my Ruger SR-762 (.308) has similar recoil to some of the AR-15s I have shot. But keep in mind that I hunt with a .300 RUM.

After owning both gas piston and gas impingement rifles, it is nice to not have to clean your rifles every time you take them out (and have full piece of mind). Needless to say, my Rock River, S&W or Colt, have never malfunctioned and I have run them very dirty for testing purposes. And when it comes to cleaning, that process goes about 20 minutes faster with my piston rifle.

Also, in terms of accuracy. The SCAR 16 (despite what you hear) is not overly impressive. I shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a 16" barrel RRA with a rail and the factory trigger (and relatively inexpensive factory ammo). My dad's SCAR is not capable of that but I hear that some are. Just don't think they are some precision rifle, like say the OBR. A solid AR-15 build will be more accurate in my opinion.

So, I say neat gun, but there is no way it's worth the price tag for me.

Last edited by slim9300; May 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.04359 seconds with 8 queries