View Single Post
Old July 12, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Building a .220 Swift on a Model 7 action

I have a Remington model 7 in .243 and I want to use the action for a build using a .220 swift barrel taken off a Model 700.

Long story short on the barrel: It was originally on a model 700 that my dad used to hunt prairie dogs, its only had a few break-in rounds through it, dad's health took a downturn and he never got to take it hunting with the new barrel. He gave me the rifle a few years later and I had the original barrel put back on the rifle (6mm rem).

So I have this like new, magnum contour 26" .220 swift barrel lying around, and a model 7 .243 that doesn't see much action anymore as I have sorta pushed it aside in favor of my 6mm remingtons.

First question is do the model 7 and 700 share the same barrel thread? I've heard they do but want to make sure from some of the knowledgeable folks on TFL.

Second, will the bolt and/or magazine need any modification? I'm pretty sure they share the same .473 bolt face and the max OAL is close enough. Will the fact that the .220 is semi-rimmed give me any issues?

I realize I will have to go a gunsmith to have the barrel fitted and the headspace may vary slightly from the two receivers but other than that, should this pairing of action and barrel work? Are there any other issues I haven't considered?

Page generated in 0.02057 seconds with 8 queries