View Single Post
Old May 17, 2005, 11:31 AM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Volume is more accurate if you are using a good measure with a ball powder and if the moisture content variation has changed. Weighing is most accurate if the water content hasn't changed and you are using anything but ball powder.

The way to make weighing work best is to check the weight of a known volume of your powder. If you have a micrometer powder measure, set it where you had it when you worked the load up at the range or where it was when you calibrated it to match the load after working it up at the range. If you keep your powder containers tightly closed, they won't change moisture content significantly in a few hours or even a day, so you always have time to match your measure setting to your scale within that time frame and record it.

Weigh 20 charges and use the average to set the electronic dispenser. If the powder has changed moisture content since the last time you reloaded, this weight will have changed. Averaging 20 charges gets you around the +/- 0.2 grains some powders (long-cut stick grains in particular) throw from measures. Once this measurement tells you what the weight de jour ought to be, the electronic dispenser will provide the most consistent charges for that loading session.

I am unable to measure any accuracy difference between ball powder charges from my Redding BR-30 measure and my electronic dispenser. Both within 0.1 grain, so I just stick with the measure for ball powder.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03396 seconds with 8 queries