View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 12:41 PM   #17
pax

Quote:
I still have yet to take my CCW class as I wanted to get better skilled with shooting before doing so...
This is common thinking, but it's backwards. You don't become "good enough" to take a class. Ideally, you take a class while you are still new and unskilled, then practice to get better. The guys who have been shooting for years are the terror of experienced firearms instructors everywhere. (Don't believe me? Read this.)

The purpose of a class is to show you what to practice and how to practice it. If you practice doing something wrong 2000 times, it's a sure bet that on the 2001st time, you'll do it wrong. So you get to a class first, learn what you need to know, then get to the range to practice and become better at doing it smoothly.

There's no real downside to getting your carry permit, even if you decide not to carry right now. If something in your life changed and you decided you really need to be carrying, having the permit on hand means you can start doing so right away. In the meanwhile, that carry permit tells your local politicians that X number of their constituents care about their gun rights, which definitely helps the rest of us. And in many states, the permit allows you to buy guns more easily or inside shorter time frames.

pax

Page generated in 0.03376 seconds with 8 queries