View Single Post
Old May 1, 2005, 03:13 PM   #12
Sturm

Smokey Joe, sounds like plenty to like. Good explanation concerning target load construction. My only knock with powders this fast is load density and the affect on powder positioning. 231 and HP-38 are 2 of the most commonly used powders for this type of load. May have even had somethin' to do with Hodgdons choice of name for the powder!

I don't like to buck tradition when I'm on an easy horse, but we now have powders that are not as position sensitive and there are a couple of powders that will give very uniform ballistics with much higher load density, even in lower pressure cartridges. You will have to load higher charges and that will cost you more money. We should all know the dangers of Double-Charging, it is one of the sins that God punishes for on the first offense, like a head-on collision, so I have always made it a point, since my early reloading days, to never use a powder in pistol cases that will allow a Double-Charge, or, even in some cases a Triple-Charge.

We should all carefully check the powder level in the case, but yet we are human and a good number of people use progressive presses. Some of them say that they still observe the powder drop and case level, but if they are getting 500 rounds an hour, I wonder just how many are actually 100%. But Hey, if somethings already workin' great for you....

Page generated in 0.02126 seconds with 8 queries