View Single Post
Old July 30, 2013, 12:40 AM   #116
jimbob86

Best All Around Hunting Rifle?

For me? The one I am most familiar with- mine!

Seriously: with all the advances in bullet construction coupled with a good handloading set-up and skills to use it, there is nothing in North America, or pretty much anywhere on the surface of planet Earth that I could not successfully hunt with my .270WIN.

I honestly think that most all of the Caliber Wars are a "Great Lot of Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing" ..... within reason, there are not really a lot of differences in the end results between any of the major centerfire rifle cartridges..... the greatest variable in the equation is going to be the shooter ..... the rifle he or she is most experienced and comfortable with, and confident in, is going to be a much more more important factor than a couple hundred ft/lbs of energy or 6" of difference in trajectory....... provided the shooter understands and has practiced with the tool in question, under realistic conditions ..... as long as the shooter understands the problem, and uses reasonable tools to solve it, the minutae of the matter is relatively unimportant.

Nigh a century ago, Karamojo Bell killed hundreds and hundreds of elephants with a .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser) and FMJ bullets ...... further evidence to me that "It is the Man, not the Machine", that matters.

Page generated in 0.03625 seconds with 8 queries