View Single Post
Old March 4, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
For a .22lr i'd say get the 16'' as there are no real benefits from having a longer barrel with this cartridge.
Sound. As in noise. Generally the longer the barrel, the quieter the report.

From time to time I shoot some of the "different/quieter" .22 ammo (22 CB longs, and the like) and with longer barrels it is noticeably quieter than in shorter barrels. I have different .22 pistols and rifles with different barrels lengths and definitely can tell the difference. (This also applies to "regular" .22 ammo.)

That said, it depends on what the end result of the rifle will be; deciding on a barrel length. Are you bench rest shooting, or are you looking for a light and "handy" rifle for hiking through the brush? Are you planning on using any of the "quiet" .22 ammo?

As far as accuracy, I have some 6.88" and 10" .22 barrels that are incredibly accurate; amazing when shot off of a solid rest/bipod.

I think sound and velocity are the biggest differences, when considering different common barrel lengths, accuracy in a well made barrel not so much.

A really good trigger is far more likely to improve one's group size; compared to the barrel lengths, given that each barrel is different regardless of the length.

Now, go figure...

Page generated in 0.03977 seconds with 8 queries