View Single Post
Old April 15, 1999, 11:29 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

My records indicate that the first record of a Sniper M-1Garand, was called the M1E7. It had a Griffin & Howe scope mount and an M73, Lyman Alaskan, or M73B1 (weaver 330)scope. A removable leather cheek piece was fitted to the stock. It was stanardized in June of 1944. A flash hider was adopted in Jan. of 1945.

Later on the M1-D Sniper rifle was designed, however according to my records it was the same as the M1E7 but the sighting system was the M73 Lyman telescope with cross hairs reticle and rubber eyepiece. The scope system was call the M81. When equipped with tapered post retcile and rubber eye peice, it is designated as the M82. A later telescope used wth the M1C & D is the M84

If my memory serves. Before the M-1 Garand Sniper system the M1903A4 system was used. This system was adapted in December of 1942. This being the case, I would suspect that the Springfield 03A4 was @ Guadalcanal and not the M-1DGarand. In fact I know for a fact that the 03A4 was used in Korea and in some parts of RVN. In the era of the 03A4 and the M1D the 03 was a far superior sniper system than the Garand. Using National Match (*'d) barrels and specific glass bedding, I was taught how to glass bed by the man who designed the glass bedding system for the 03A4, longer range and more accurate shots could be accomplished.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 16, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03584 seconds with 8 queries