Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Archie

I'll be the other guy.

Every new loader gets crazy about measuring the powder charge down to the nth degree. A perfectly uniform powder charge is probably the least important factor. That is counter intuitive, but there it is.

Truthfully, there is enough variance in case weights, primer weights (of ignitor substance) and so on to completely wipe out all the benefits of 'exact' powder charges.

Before buying the automatic powder dispenser, you would be well to spend money on pillar bedding the barreled action in the stock. lapping the bolt lugs, sorting cases by weight, trimming, turning necks, chamfering and truing flash holes on the cases, truing the primer pockets, weighing and sorting bullets, neck sizing only and using straight line dies to seat the bullets.

Then the powder charges will be worth fussing about.

Until then, a powder charge with uniformity of two to three percent (1.5 grains variance in a 50 grain charge) will give results as good as you're going to get. A decent powder measure will do you just fine. Pretty much any of the major brands will serve most adequately. I personally don't like the Lee measures, but it's a personal thing; they don't do ball powders very well. I have Dillon measures and a Frankfort Arsenal measure; they all do well.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade JHLL, but I went through the same routine and spent a lot of money on stuff I didn't need when I could have spent it on stuff that actually makes the gun shoot better.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page generated in 0.03741 seconds with 8 queries