View Single Post
Old September 5, 2013, 11:35 AM   #22
TDL

Quote:
Suicide is a form of violence.
Respectfully then many first world democracies have the same level "violence" as the US.
Including it in the gun debate currently means gun suicide which massively (by a factor of 3x) increases "gun violence" death.
The target would be a quick and easy way of parsing it out of the debate due to the fact that the method of suicide should not be relevant.

The issue I bring up what suicide is that ant gun rights people, in effect, successfully posit into the debate that a gun suicide accrues to violent deaths but the same suicide by pills does not. to me that is sophistry.

Quote:
The CDC provided us with a great study this year, which largely confirmed what we've been saying. The sources for "what we've been saying?" FBI and DOJ reports on crime. A study funded by the NRA would be met with derision by the mainstream media.
I disagree. We are relying on OUR informal non peer reviewed application of FBI and DOJ reports ratios to the peer reviewed material. That is my point about the assertion of increased danger in homes. Some of those are peer reviewed, ilcudin g ones that assert greatly increased danger. there is NO FBI, DOJ, CDC or peer reviewed work that do what is needed: parse the RATIO of criminal and/or illegal weapons deaths in homes from firearms vs legal gun owners.

By the way other civil rights/civil liberties groups, eg ACLU, EFF, NACCP, ACLU DO provide support for academic studies

Last edited by TDL; September 5, 2013 at 09:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries