View Single Post
Old December 2, 2000, 03:08 PM   #21
Ipecac

Henry, it's time for you to get informed on wildlife management, at least in the state of Alaska. Game biologists are not fish cops, the State Troopers' division of Fish and Wildlife Protection are the "fish cops". Fish Cop=police, biologist=biologist. Do you see a pattern emerging?

I used to work for the ADF&G as a tech, and I can tell you from experience that the equipment is far from brand new. Much of it is rebuilt old trash which I wouldn't use on a personal basis. Again, the Feds have the brand new stuff. I live in the unit that F-D manages: it's larger in area than the state of Rhode Island, he alone manages and studies the game in it, and his budget is $55k/year. Of course, I actually looked into this instead of ranting about things of which I know nothing. Why study moose?
Quote:
These cows will provide info on winter body condition, pregnancy rates, carrying capacity and survival for our local, heavily hunted herd.
Conditions change, populations change, information is always useful.

So, you think there's too many moose in Anchorage, yet you don't want a hunt to cull the numbers. Hmm, shall we ask the moose to stop breeding? Issue condoms? Live capture them and ship them to zoos? Please, I'm fascinated to learn your solution to this dilemma.

BTW, the ADF&G tech who runs the Rabbit Creek Range has been employed by the department for over 20 years. Not an overly high rate of pay for that much experience, IMHO. Not to mention that his knowledge of firearms is incredible, which increases the safety and enjoyment of all who shoot there. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Page generated in 0.03339 seconds with 8 queries