View Single Post
Old February 17, 2014, 01:15 PM   #28
Gunplummer

I have to agree with Picher. I have hit a lot of moving deer with a scoped rifle. I usually hunt in thick stuff too. I like a short tube scope with a fixed power and lots of light gathering ability. On overcast days, it can be dark in heavy brush. The problem with scopes is most people don't practice under "Real hunt" conditions. As Picher said, the scope should be brought up to your eye without thinking about it. Sitting at a range bench will not help much. When I started the X hunting, we worked at that. I put a scope on her .410 bolt action to hunt squirrels. When just sitting, she would practice getting on falling leaves (Without shooting). She actually got pretty good and started knocking deer down after that. Another thing is a gun that really fits, with a short barrel. Caliber does not matter so much, but I am a believer in "Brush busters". You can believe what you want, but I have "Killed" a few saplings and that bullet went straight through. My Buddy shotgunned a running deer one year and took off a sapling in front of it. He actually had pieces of wood in the deer.

Page generated in 0.03667 seconds with 8 queries