View Single Post
Old February 11, 2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Travelin' Man

Replicate Hornady 12ga 300gr FTX slug load

Since I live in the great nearly bankrupt state of Illinois where we can only use shotguns, muzzle loader rifles, and some pistols for deer hunting I am looking to replicate the Hornady FTX slug load that my Rem. 870 Super Slug is so fond of shooting accurately (3" groups at 200 yards).

Does anyone here know where I might purchase the sabots that are needed to hold the .50 caliber 300gr FTX bullet that Hornady uses? Also, does anyone have any idea what powder Hornady uses, I've pulled apart two shells and the powder loads both measured within .1 gr of each other but I would still need to know what powder they are using. I have already made a custom crimper die that should allow me to put the identical crimp on that Hornady uses at the factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Richard

BTW, hunting deer with a shotgun like the 870 Super Slug with it's 25 1/2" rifled barrel isn't all that bad as shots can accurately and safely be taken out to 300 yards, especially when using a Leupold S.A.B.R. scope, plus the performance of that 300gr bullet is phenomenal!

Page generated in 0.03106 seconds with 8 queries