View Single Post
Old July 26, 2011, 10:19 AM   #18
snuffy

Quote:
At this point I am not certain if the "inside chamfering" or backing out both the .223 Full Length Sizer and "rifle powder through die" made the difference. However, I was able to seat a bullet. I just need to do more tweaking with the dies until everything looks right.
You can NOT back out the full length sizer die at all. It HAS to be down to where the bottom of the die hits the shell plate. This will make the shells fit your chamber, or at least it should.

Your problem started with the rifle charging die bottoming out, closing the mouth of the case. And your failure to inside chamfer the case, and thinking the bullet should enter the case a little before the seater pressed it home.

It sounds like you bought this press used with all the dies screwed in it but not adjusted. That would not confuse me, but I've been loading for 50 years. On the other hand, if I had started loading on a progressive 50 years ago, I would have been real confused. Back then, there was no great resource called the internet. All I had was a crusty old retired teacher that sold reloading components out of his basement, under a liquor store!

Your best bet is to run one case through at a time to get the feel of each station as it does one case, and get that station set correctly. THEN you could run it with all stations full in a true progressive state.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02894 seconds with 8 queries