View Single Post
Old February 24, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Double set triggers are common on European civilian hunting rifles, due to the prevalence of stand hunting for driven game rather than stalking game as we do in the US.

Of the two triggers, one trigger is properly called the set or often set trigger, the other is called the trigger. Really! You can find examples of them in many post-WWI and post-WWII civilian hunting rifles from Europe built on either commercial receivers (no thumb notch or charger guide) or surplus military receivers (thumb notch and charger guides. They were not military issue, the double-lever set mechanisms are typically somewhat delicate and difficult to keep adjusted, and the standard trigger pulls somewhat heavy. The missing trigger guard is typical of these conversions; the trigger guard would be cut off and replaced with a bow-style trigger guard that screws into the bottom metal directly in front of the trigger, then inletted into the wood and secured against the stock at the pistol grip.

Many actions converted in this manner have dovetailed or soldered claw mounts attached to the receiver bridges. If yours sports claw mount bases, I hope they are soldered in place.

Many times the receivers were elaborately engraved above the wood line and on the bottom metal, and the receivers were often tinned or nickel plated to give them an "in the white" appearance while still protecting them from rust. I recently rebarreled one such rifle, and the owner was carrying on about the receiver being made from German silver (a high-nickel brass alloy), but they are in fact nickel plated or tinned with either pure tin or lead solder to give them their silver appearance. You can tell the difference between the two at a glance, tinned receivers having a "grayer" appearance.

I hope you build yourself a nice Continental sporter rifle with your action. They do make very attractive hunting rifles.

Page generated in 0.02654 seconds with 8 queries