View Single Post
Old August 30, 2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Hardcase

I tend to not open carry because it disturbs some people. That's fine, I have an IWB holster or a pocket holster if that's not practical.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I found while reading an Idaho history book that was written by the state's first governor: Early on, before Idaho was a state, most towns banned concealed carry entirely. It wasn't because they were worried about the menace of any old person packing heat. After all, open carry was not only allowed, but rampant. According to Governor McConnell, concealed carry was banned because the city leaders wanted to be sure that if there was going to be a fight, it would be a fair fight. They didn't want a fellow to start a fistfight if his opponent had a heater in his pocket.

Funny thing: from around 1863 until the late 1880s, the prison at Idaho City had no inmates convicted of murder from a gunfight - if both parties were armed, the juries concluded that it was a fair fight and whomever fired the fatal shot was just defending himself. Now, I don't advocate that as a standard. It's just an interesting tidbit of history that shows how times (and laws) have changed.

Page generated in 0.03506 seconds with 8 queries