View Single Post
Old February 28, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Marquezj16

SIG SAUER 1911-22 Range Report

The fourth ammo is the Winchester bulk pack. First shot fired and ejected the case. Pull the trigger and nothing. Dropped the mag, pulled the slide to reveal an empty chamber. Oh boy, here we go again. Same thing occurred with my SR22. Inserted the mag back in, racked the slide and the 9 left in the mag fired without any problem. Reloaded the mag, inserted, racked and loaded. First one good, second one did not chamber. I started to laugh out loud because this is exactly how it was with my SR22. And just like the first, after reracking the slide, the 9 in the mag fired. Now the third mag was different. The first two fired then the 3rd through the 6th round stove piped. The only group of ten that had no issues was the fourth mag. The fifth experience FTF on the 2nd and 3rd round. 8 total malfunctions out of 50 for this ammo. When it did load, it fired and it had the best group size. Probably because I could not fire as rapidly as the other ammo types due to all the stoppages.

The last one to get tested was the Remington ShurShot. I have stayed away from Remington 22 lr ammo due to its negative performance out of other pistols and rifles I have shot. I experienced all types of malfunctions and duds plus they seem to be quite dirty too. But this packaging seemed different. It was a 300 round pack and it also had a lead HP instead of a copper or brass plating. It also stated high velocity so I had to test it out as the Sig manual states to use HV 22 lr ammo. The package does not say how fast it is but after shooting the first round, I knew this was definitely faster than the others. I also noticed the smoke that came out with each shot. There was one FTF on the fourth mag. It was the same problem as the Federal bulk. The group size was also comparable to the Federal bulk. And like the Federal bulk, 49 out of 50, not bad at all.

Also if you are counting the bullet holes, not all fifty rounds of each was shot into the same circle. I shot other circles drawn on the poster board as well as targets.

I also fired another 50 rounds of CCI SV just to make sure that the malfunctions were not due to the gun being dirty. And then I shot another 100 rounds of the Federal Auto Match after I found an 8” round metal plate at the berm and stood that up at 25 yards. It got old walking back and forth to set it back up after a good hit knocked it over so I hung it up on the target board using a rope I found. I couldn’t stop shooting at it as each hit made a nice ring sound and it spun the target. But alas it was getting dark out and my fingers were actually cold from being a little wet. Funny how you don’t feel the discomfort while you are shooting.

Lesson learned from this range trip. It likes the CCI SV and Federal Auto Match. It is okay with the Federal and Rem ShurShot. It does not like the Winchester. The groups were all in the lower right quarter of the circle. I will have to wait until the next range trip to see if I need to switch the front sight to the medium and adjust for windage on the rear sight. Also it could be me shooting offhand at a fairly rapid pace. I pulled the trigger as soon as I’m back on target. And as quickly as I can load the mag, I am shooting it again.

Which bring me to one negative aspect of this pistol. The magazine or rather having just one. I ordered a GSG mag from Midway. It will be here in a couple of days. If the GSG mag works out, I will probably order a couple more.

The best hing about this pistol is the trigger. It truly is that amazing.

I'm going to give my pistol a good cleaning and I hope to get out to the range again next weekend to work on the accuracy of my Sig 1911-22.
I think it will be another good session. Rain or shine. And of course I will add to this review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig 1911-22 Winchester HP Bulk Pack.JPG (26.3 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Sig 1911-22 Remington Shurshot HP HV.JPG (26.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Sig 1911-22 (5).JPG (42.4 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by Marquezj16; February 29, 2012 at 06:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.04278 seconds with 9 queries