View Single Post
Old January 30, 2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Southern Shooter

Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum...Should it be retired?

My daughter spends a lot of time in the mountains of Utah and wanted a gun to carry while she was out hiking and/or camping. I offered her my S&W 629 .44 Magnum. And, even though she could shoot it the grip frame is a bit large for her hands (she is barely 5' 3"). I have an early 1980's production Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel, a Hogue monogrip, nice trigger pull, that has perfect timing and rock solid lock-up, and fits her hand. My thought is that with 158-200 grain hard cast bullets she could take care of herself while out and about.

I have been catching a little flack from friends who say that because the Security-Six parts are near impossible to get that I should get her a more recent production gun like the SP101 .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. Then if something happens to the gun it can more easily be repaired.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; January 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.03271 seconds with 8 queries