View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013, 07:04 AM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
i was taught that it's actually not called a slide release, but a slide stop. i was also taught that not all guns function reliably by using the slide stop to release the slide. pulling the slide back that extra 1/4" gives it the clearance and extra momentum to make sure it picks the next round out of the magazine.
The slide lock/slide release on a gun like the 1911 has multiple functions.

It locks the slide back when is it empty = slide lock
It halts the slides forward movement = slide stop
If you press it down it will allow the slide to ride forward = slide release

In the end I use both. I think it is smart to be proficient with both methods. It is not an either or proposition. Training and developing muscle memory and proficiency using both seems prudent to me. Some guns like the Kahr actually state you should always use the slide release because the sling shot or overhand method can cause poor feed due to the design. My Kahr CW9 feeds well both ways.

Page generated in 0.02594 seconds with 8 queries