View Single Post
Old March 23, 2009, 03:01 PM   #83
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
the sheepdog metaphor is in the 'official literature' of the discussion of the responsibilities of the armed civilian from the gun world
OMG are we an academic discipline now? Ok, I know that and have read it on here and the gun rags I read from time to time. What I have also read from the psych world concerns the superhero or superman complex that some of us have (nobody on TFL of course)
Quote:
an unhealthy sense of responsibility, or the belief that everyone else lacks the capacity to successfully perform any task. Such a person may feel a constant need to "save" others.
coupled with the feeling of power that comes with the carrying of a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
some military psych types
They are even more scary!

Glenn, isn't this "sheepdog" mentality what gets us into these arguments about what to do involving third person SD situations. I mean I have seen this stuff linked all the way to the belief in the "armed citizen militia" that I have debated with others before protecting us against the "evil" government. Does the "criminological literature" deal with the Walter Mitty stuff or am I getting off topic?

For the record I am an avowed atheist (Handgunner Magazine John Connor notwithstanding) concerning this sheepdog stuff and personally I see a lot of bad coming out of it at the extreme (not just being a good citizen and reporting criminal activity) with very little good coming out of it (innocent dead and law suits for me) even if successful. Heck, I just want to protect my own butt and that of my wife and son. Does that make me a sheepdog? Again if off topic do me in!

Page generated in 0.03716 seconds with 8 queries