View Single Post
Old July 9, 2000, 12:30 AM   #3
saands

Archie's advise seems sound. I'll add a little. I usually look not only for the highest velocities, but for a load that achieves those velocities at lower pressures. I believe that the Lee manual has a chapter on predicting pressures/velocities for reduced loads as well. Max loads are based on the max pressure that is produced during combustion. What I have seen in .357 mag loads for my 6" revolver is that the slower burning powders like Alliant 2400 give superior performance at lower pressures because the slower powder develops pressure during the entire path (and based on the flame that comes out of the barrel it looks like it would be even better in an 8" bbl). With that said, I am using BullsEye in my .40 s&w ... basically because Alliant has current load info available on the net and I can get it locally. Even a 90% charge gives me velocities higher than most factory loads, so I am able to proctice with hotter loads than I Fiocchi HP's that are at the ready.
Hope this helps,
saands
ps ... Try some loads that are not worked up to MAX ... you will probably be surprised that there is something less than MAX that is the most accurate ... I think this has been true for ALL of my experiences.

Page generated in 0.03178 seconds with 8 queries