View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Scottish Highlander

That's fair enough Bart B but wouldn't a chronograph give me an indication of pressures ?

I continually read on here that most pet loads aren't max powder loads.

So if I had a crono at least if I started of at a certain powder weight eg.. 40 grains. Then seat the bullets at different depths from the lands then you would get an indication from the crono what the pressure was doing. If I seated a bullet and case to a max OAL 2.80" and loaded 20 cases all at 40 grains.
First 5 cases being OAL of 2.80"
Next 5 cases at 2.82"
Next 5 cases at 2.84"
Next 5 cases at 2.86"

Fired all 20 shots on paper @ 100 yards measuring through a chronograph then surely there would be a difference in velocity because your closing the gap from Lands. If the manual stated for that particular bullet and powder was an average velocity of 2750 ft / sec and you were getting around about that but slowly creeping up and with the last 5 loaded bullets that were seated at 2.86" OAL you knew that you were landing 0.002 of the lands and the velocity spiked up to 3200 ft / sec on the first shot you fired but no pressure signs on the case then at least the crono would be giving you an indication of what was happening and that you were kissing the lands. Or wouldn't this be the case ??

All measurements are for example only

Jamie

Page generated in 0.03495 seconds with 8 queries