View Single Post
Old March 30, 2014, 06:30 AM   #3
WC145

Gun in general, and 1911s in particular, are built as cohesive units. Taking bits and pieces from here and there and throwing them together is not usually a formula for success. Like fitting an engine from one car to another it can be done but it requires skill and effort to make it work and be better than it was before. So, the answer is simple - compromise or pay. If no one makes the gun you want you can have it built but chances are it's going to be expensive. Otherwise you buy the closest thing within your budget and live with things like fish-scale serrations or use it as a base for a custom build when you can afford it.

As an example, I really wanted a lightweight 9mm snubby but all of the factory built 9mm snubbies had steel frames and weighed around 22oz, too heavy for my wants/needs. So I bought a scandium frame S&W 360J .38spl and had it converted to 9mm, made DAO, and had all of the other things done that were on my list. $1500+ later I had the 13oz 9mm revolver I wanted.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Last edited by WC145; March 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.02926 seconds with 8 queries