View Single Post
Old June 5, 2009, 09:58 AM   #18
KLRANGL

Lots of "smash the barrel" talk. Why not just get it registered in the NFA database?
$200, a two applications with fingerprint cards and photos is all you need.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know if there is a grandfather clause to the federal law or is it all shotguns...period?
The grandfather clause was for any short barrel shotgun already in existence could be registered in the NFA database (for free I think) and be legally owned. Still has to be in the database one way or another, but that brings up an interesting point. Was it actually registered in the database? If it was, transferring it to your name is cheap and easy. Again, all assuming that it is shorter than 18inches, which I doubt. The side-by-side shotguns always look shorter than they really are.

Edit:
Quote:
Not exactly. The method is accurate, but it is measured to the bolt face - not the round. Do it while unloaded.
I just double checked this, and you are right. My 870 with 18.5inch barrel measures 18.5inches to the bolt face exactly. As I said above, side by side and break barrel shotgun look shorter than they really are, because the bolt face is located farther back than on a pump or auto shotgun. The stoeger coach gun always looked like 14-16inches to me, but I was surprised to find that it was actually 20 inches. Gota bust out that tape measure to be sure.

Last edited by KLRANGL; June 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.02266 seconds with 8 queries