View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattale
What sap said. Hearing protection is de rigeur at the range. Not so in the field. As to how loud is your Mosin? Very loud indeed, loud enough to damage hearing with repeated exposure.
This is silliness.

Listen up, fellas!

A SINGLE gunshot with unprotected ears can and has caused irreversible, permanent damage. I know. I did it, by accident.

The idea that you don't hear/notice/remember the shot when you're hunting is completely and utterly irrelevant. Your ears don't care what your brain perceives. Hearing damage is a PHYSICAL condition, like a broken leg. I could dope you up enough that you wouldn't know your leg was run over by a Mack truck too, but it would still be broken!

This is a medical/health issue and the misinformation posted on this forum needs to stop.

If you want to shoot without hearing protection, fine, have at it but DO NOT tell others that it's OK or will only do damage after "repeated" exposure. That is utter nonsense.

Electronic hearing protection can be had for under $30 today. It protects your hearing and ENHANCES your ability to hear game in the woods. Hunting or shooting without it is the height of foolishness.

Page generated in 0.02178 seconds with 8 queries