View Single Post
Old May 12, 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
zoomie

Quote:
As far as Germany being small and homogenous, there are nearly 100,000,000 Germans, and nearly 20% of them are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants.
If you use your numbers, 99% of the US is immigrants or descendants of immigrants. I know my great-grandparents came over on the boat, so I'm a descendant of immigrants, but I'm 100% American.

80% native Germans > 1% Native Americans.

Anyway, here are the CIA numbers:
Quote:
German 91.5%, Turkish 2.4%, other 6.1% (made up largely of Greek, Italian, Polish, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gm.html

And of those immigrants, most are European who already share a values system. That's a far cry from the US where immigrants are literally from every country in the world. How many "Americans" consider themselves such and how many consider themselves part of their home country. We have people that are 10 generations removed from a continent that still refer to themselves as ethnically-hyphenated. Our cities are a classic case of the Clash of Civilizations.

US:
Quote:
white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61% (July 2007 estimate)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean persons of Spanish/Hispanic/Latino origin including those of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican Republic, Spanish, and Central or South American origin living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.); about 15.1% of the total US population is Hispanic
Point still stands - compared to the US, Germany is homogeneous and that creates fewer problems than does a melting pot.

Last edited by zoomie; May 12, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.04292 seconds with 8 queries