View Single Post
Old January 22, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
taylorce1

Not a very common cartridge but from what I know it is basically an Improved .375 H&H. With bullets of equal weight the Weatherby pushes the bullet an average of 200 fps faster. So it will be of similar recoil to the .375 H&H and Ruger but a little harder. How much will it increase the recoil that is felt that has a lot to do with how the stock is designed and how heavy the rifle is. I'll bet it isn't any worse than the .416 Rem you shot and probably no where near as stout as the .375 RUM and .378 WBY.

Do you reload? I read that you can shoot the .375 H&H in this rifle. I know you can buy that cheaper than the Weatherby ammo. Once you shoot the H&H case in the rifle it will fire form to the chamber so then you have the brass to reload. Dies will probably cost around $100 so one box of factory ammunition will pay for them.

Another option is to talk to a gunsmith and see if there is enough barrel shank left to set it back and ream the chamber out to .375 H&H. The H&H is more commonly found and easier to find commercial ammunition for. Plus there isn't a whole lot of need for anything more powerful.

Page generated in 0.02235 seconds with 8 queries