Thread: Best deer round
View Single Post
Old September 19, 2009, 07:13 PM   #53
HiBC

The parameter of diverse deer hunting would place versatility pretty high on the list of desirable attributes.

A rifle optimized for western bitterbrush hunting might be a bit of a handicap in deep woods and the reverse is true.

When I pick up my 257 Ackley that weighs 7 lbs with the 6x42 Leu on top,I do not wish for something else.

I do not think there is a "best".It is the one you know and trust.And,the 30-30 has killed a lot of deer out west.

I antelope hunt on foot in what amounts to sage/desert."Flat" ground is not so flat if you look close.A buddy once told me,one minute you were walking away,then you disappeared.A little bit of a draw or bowl,defilade!!

If you are in foothills,brush,oakbrush,it might be Colorado but it is short range bush shooting,or cross the draw.

I know of a cranky old ex Marine sniper gunsmith who will use an iron sight 30-40 Krag on Pronghorn and might grab a .50 rolling block carbine to hunt in Idaho.

A Ruger #1 might be a great platform,a might an Encore carbine with an ACOG on it you could put in your ruck..

Page generated in 0.03501 seconds with 8 queries