View Single Post
Old January 3, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
78kitty

Help Needed .44 Mag Lead load

I’m having problems finding a nice lead load to shoot from my S&W 629 w/ 8” barrel. I’ve had good luck lately shooting 240gr Horady XTPs, 23.5 of H110, and CCI Magnum primers. I can hold that to about 6” @ 50 yds from the bench, which is surprisingly good for my pistol shooting skills!

My problem comes in finding a good load for my 240gr Lead SWC bullets. I’m not sure if it’s the loads, the bullets or what. I bought these bullets at a show in a bulk of 500 for $20 and have seen the same ones at other reloading stores. They have 2 groves in them with blue lube.

My Lee manual shows something like 10.7 – 11.8 of Unique. I loaded some up around 11gr w/CCI regular primers, and they recoil like a SOB (as bad as the H110 loads) and are not accurate at all (over 12” groups @ 50 yds and very inconsistent). I see a lot of guys recommending loads like 7gr of unique with 240 lead, but haven’t found any recommended charges like that. I loaded a few around there once, but a buddy w/ a lot more reloading experience said they might be unsafe and I ended up throwing them away. I just checked Alliant powder’s website and they recommend 11.7gr of Unique.

Can anyone give me a good accurate load for 240gr Lead in 44 Mag, and explain how light of a powder load I can make w/out being dangerous, or why loading too light is dangerous?

Page generated in 0.02569 seconds with 8 queries