View Single Post
Old June 18, 2010, 01:35 AM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
Except it wouldnt cock the second barrel of my Ithica Over and Under Skeet gun.
CPT Kraig, you and I know exactly what you mean, but you may confuse some of the new shooters. Your reduced recoil loads didn't fail to cock the second barrel. Both barrels were cocked as you opened the gun. What happened: The reduced recoil failed to set up your trigger for the second shot. If you're contemplating low recoil loads in an inertia triggered SxS or O/U, you may wish to have your trigger's inertia block altered. Here's why:

With single trigger double guns there is a mechanism that determines the firing order. After your first shot, it links the trigger for the second barrel's shot. This action is powered by internal springs or recoil energy. An "inertia block" is used to "collect" the recoil energy. Typically, the inertia system is less complicated mechanically and gives better trigger pulls than the spring type.

There's a quick and easy way to tell which system your gun uses. Load two snap caps, and pull the trigger -- you'll hear the first barrel click. Now, pull the trigger again, if the gun clicks again, you have a mechanical system. If the trigger is limp, you have an inertia system and the second barrel didn't select because there was no firing inertia to power it. Next, hit the butt plate sharply with your hand, and pull the trigger again. Usually, the slap on the butt will set the trigger for the second shot.

Like the good Captain, I went on a quest for low recoil 12-ga target loads and found my way to Federal paper hulls and Green Dot powder. In my case I was using a tubed Skeet gun, and the trigger easily set up for the second shot with the light 12s. When Briley fit the tubes, he also altered the trigger by increasing the mass of the trigger's inertia block. Otherwise, I'd never get off a second shot with the .410 tubes installed. There's no mystery to increasing the trigger inertia block's mass -- it's a common conversion -- often involving just a simple parts swap.

Page generated in 0.03677 seconds with 8 queries