View Single Post
Old May 25, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
603Country

scorch, I agree about the Tru-oil being a fine finish, if done properly. Still, BLO will do a very fine job and is the finish of choice on many fine rifles. And, as to the explosive nature of the various oils, I've been using them all for 35 or so years and haven't burned up or blown up anything yet. My shop is, and has been, full of paints and flammable liquids for years. Woodworkers can't really avoid that.

One thing though, is that BLO will spontaneously combust if you wad up a bunch of paper towels soaked in BLO. When they start drying, they put out a lot of heat. Wad them up and the heat builds and fires start. I did make that mistake once, many many years ago and almost did burn down a small shop. But it won't do that while in the can and it won't do it if you'll spread the BLO soaked rags out flat to dry. These days I'll just take any and all finishing rags, towels, and scraps and soak them with water and leave em wet for a day or two.

The good thing about Tru-oil or a wiping varnish like Antique Oil is that you can do a stock finish in a reasonable amount of time. A good Linseed Oil finish is a lovely thing, but you can spend 3 months on one finish, hand rubbing every day.

Page generated in 0.06006 seconds with 8 queries