View Single Post
Old February 15, 2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

VIPER - - A shrouded barrel, four-inch Cobra or an LW Police Positive Special?

Hi, omegapd - -

I'll give what superficial help I can furnish. Uh, where did you get the thing about the Viper only being produced in 1977? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this doesn't tally with some old memories I had of the model. Anyway - - -

There's a minor conflict here concerning serial numbers and dates of manufacture. The R. L. Wilson book, Colt An American Legend
has little to say of the model. For a time, the only D-Frame Colt revolvers produced were Diamondbacks and Detective Specials. The redesigned D frames, with he shrouded ejector rod, were phased in gradually. On p. 275, Wilson writes:
Quote:
In 1978 two double-actions classified between the Diamondback and the Detective Special were announced. The Police positive is . . . .

The Viper is a "lighter version of the Police positive constructed with a high-strength aluminum alloy frame. The ideal Colt for those who want a lightweight 4" 38 Special revolver." Numbers fall within the cobra and Agent serials.
The same book has serial number tables in the back. You mention 1977 as the sole year of production of the Viper. Cobra and Agent numbers for '77 are 71904M -- 97999M and 60001R -- 63400R. Numbers for 1978 begin at 63401R.

Stoeger's Gun Trader's Guide, 25th Edition (2002) p. 64, shows:
Quote:
VIPER DA REVOLVER NiB $419 Ex $335 Gd $194 Same as Cobra, Second Issue, except has 4-inch bbl., is 9 inches overall, weighs 20 oz. Made 1977 -- 84.
The Wilson book lists several series of numbers for the D frames between 1978 and 1984. Give the serial number on the one in question and we may be able to pin it down a bit for you. (Example: P732??K.)

Gun prices have risen in the last four years, just like most everything else. The GTG price range looks pretty good today. I've recenly been looking for a three-inch Cobra or Detective Special for around-town carry, and happened onto a four-inch Cobra round butt which is a little darlin'. As with my Agent, it squirms around a lot with full loads, but I don't plan to practive with +P loads. I'd advise you do NOT get the Viper with the idea of enjoying a lot of plinking or "fun shooting" with it. The recoil is just a bit sharp for that. The full weight Police Positive Special is far easier to shoot well, and is still fairly light in weight.

Let us hear from you.
Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.02214 seconds with 8 queries