Thread: Fair price?
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Billy Shears

Quote:
I suppose if I were to paste a label on the box that said it was a Ford you'd claim it as such also?
Absolutely. If you created a product that never existed in the first place, I figure, barring any copyright infringements, you could pretty much market it under any name you wanted.

If there never was such a thing as a .44 caliber 1851 in the first place and some 150 years after the fact someone makes a revolver that looks and feels like an 1851 revolver in almost every respect except for the big hole at the pointy end, what does it matter what they call it? And more importantly, if it never existed in the first place, how can naming it whatever pleases their fancy be either right or wrong?

If Pietta wants to call this particular creation an 1851 Navy who cares? If they want to call it an 1865 Rebel War Blaster, who cares? It's a fictional piece anyway.

[Edit] Reading back over this, I think I'm not being entirely clear. Let me try one more time. This time, let's stick to your Ford analogy. Let's assume that some century and a half from now--long after you and I and all our great-grandchildren are dead and gone--some company decides to build an automobile. They do a pretty darn good job of replicating the 1968 Mustang, down to the very last detail, but for whatever reason, they change the engine. Instead of a 302 cubic inch V-8, they stick in a 2.3 liter turbocharged 4-banger. Obviously not correct for this vehicle, although it was an engine Ford used in thousands of later Mustangs, but--assuming we could visit from the underworld and were allowed to voice our opinions--and assuming the vehicle was in most other respects a faithful and accurate copy of the original '68 even though this combination of engine and chassis never actually existed, would you really be all that upset if they gave it the name "1968 Mustang"?

That's all I'm trying to say. It's no big deal. They aren't selling these things to museums. They're selling them to guys like us who would rather spend an afternoon at the range making smoke than just about anything else. [/edit]

Let's just shoot em and have fun.

Last edited by Billy Shears; August 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.04683 seconds with 8 queries