View Single Post
Old September 17, 2007, 08:22 AM   #22
DesertDawg

The waxy lubricant is what gunks up the bores and chambers of .22 firearms. That gunk is NOT good, for the copper coating and lead particles get stuck in the gunk, and can accumulate to a "problem" level that can't be remedied by merely "shooting it out"!

What's the big deal? Bronze is a VERY soft material, and carbon steel is quite hard. I don't think that you can "kill" a .22 barrel by bronze brushing it! Just don't use a stainless steel bore brush, for stainless is "refined" carbon steel!

My very first firearm was a Winchester model 69A, and it was "born" back in 1951. I can only guess-timate that it has had AT LEAST 30,000 rounds through it, and it's still as accurate as the day I got it....on my 6th birthday! It doesn't always get cleaned after being fired, but the LEAST that is done is to run an oily mop through the bore, and thoroughly wiped down with an oily rag after being fired. The bore gets bronze brushed on every OTHER time that it is fired, with a solvent mop run through it several times, followed by dry mops (as many as necessary) until the bore is clean. Final stage is to oil mop the bore before it is stored. When it's going to be fired, it gets ANOTHER oil mopping, followed by a couple of dry mops. 56 years and counting....and, no malfunctions, FTF's, FTE's or RUST!

Page generated in 0.02520 seconds with 8 queries