View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 07:06 PM   #195
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Spats, with no disrespect intended to you, Frank, or Bartholomew, those kinds of word games and parsing are why most of us laymen:

1) don't hold lawyers in the esteem the profession may once have enjoyed; and
What I've outlined is not a "word game." When admitting the wrong thing can cost your clients millions of dollars, or even decades in jail, it is most certainly not a game.

As for parsing, well, I guess it is parsing. However, the burden of proof remains at all times on the Plaintiff. Why would anyone expect a Defendant to admit to things, when they really don't know if such things are true? Especially with the constitutionality of laws and hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
. . . .2) would really, really like laws to be passed in plain, understandable English, and limited in length, so as to be legible and comprehensible to a high school graduate.
And anyone who believes that writing laws in that way is possible is welcome to give it a shot. If he can, there's a career at a Bureau of Legislative Research somewhere just waiting on him.

Page generated in 0.02225 seconds with 8 queries