View Single Post
Old June 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Old Stony

Something seems out of kilter to me with all the talk of black powder guns for hunting. I may be mistaken, but to the best of my knowledge the black powder seasons were originally designed to be "primitive" hunting. I just have a hard time relating an inline rifle using some synthetic propellent and sporting a scope as primitive. There are many sidelocks out there that would meet the definition of primitive rifles and make the hunting experience one to remember. These sidelocks may limit a hunter to around 100 yds., but since when have primitive hunts needed high tech rifles capable of 200-300 yd. shots? I have shot deer with sidelocks..both rifled and smoothbore..with percussion caps and flints and had some very satisfying hunts. There is just something about a patched round ball seated over real black powder that takes a person to that real world of primitive hunting.
Perhaps I might seem a little one sided about this issue, but primitive was the original intention of a black powder season and I just prefer to test my mettle against the forces of nature rather than rely on modern inventions that in some obscure way try to mimic real black powder rifles but stack the deck in the favor of the hunter.
Don't get me wrong, I love modern guns and own many variations and brands. Both types have their place in shooting and hunting.

Page generated in 0.02157 seconds with 8 queries