View Single Post
Old August 25, 2008, 01:13 PM   #11
wncchester

Sandro - "When I say "loosing the zero" I mean that if you adjust the levelling foot and zero the scale, remove the pot and put it back sometime you don't have the zero again. I read this happen to many people on different scales."

That's true, sorta. You aren't really losing zero, what you have is a loss of freedom of beam movement due to friction when the pivot shaft rubs against the bearing holding clips. That dragging has the effect of changing both zero and accuracy but it's not a loss of zero as such.

"If you check your scale pivots you'll see that knives can slide in front-back direction even if they'll stay perfectly centered in the left-right direction (because of the V they cannot move left-right)"

Exactly right! I stopped most of that binding on my scale by grinding a tiny slant at each end of the pivot beam, just above the knife edge. Now, even if I shift the beam so it rubs against a clip, it has a minimum of contact and that's located at the pivot point. That greatly reduced the amount of end friction and it didn't take much grinding. I just changed the end angle from 90 to maybe 85 degrees above the knives. End grinding like that should work on any simular scale.

Page generated in 0.02732 seconds with 8 queries