View Single Post
Old September 13, 2007, 07:50 PM   #26
Neophyte

I am astonished that today, in 2007, I have to tell people what spam is and why it is not welcome. I am especially astonished I have to tell this to someone who runs a web forum!

Spam is unsolicited mass email, and most would add "commercial" in there as well. This email was, pure and simply, spam. It was not personally sent to me, but to a general list of TFL members. Clearly, it was commercial. And I certainly did not ask for it when I signed up.

Why, exactly, do you think I provided my email address to you? I gave it to you so that the admins could contact me to inform me if there was something wrong with my account or the forums. I didn't give it to you for more spam. I get quite enough as it is, thank you very much. And if, for God knows what reason, I wanted more - I could certainly find places to sign up for it explicitly. There's no need for you to do it for me.

I know what some of you are going to say. "Hey, it's Rich, he's a good guy!" or "It's a great product" or "What, don't you like girls?". It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if he was advertising the cure for cancer - THAT IS NOT WHY I TRUSTED YOU WITH MY EMAIL. I didn't sign up so you could spam me.

Oh, and nice opt-out instructions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...do=editoptions (log in if
necessary) and uncheck the option "Accept Email from Administrators."
Okay, so if I treasonously don't want any more spam from you I also can't recieve email regarding forum business or account problems either? Nice Hobson's choice, there.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm really disappointed in the decision y'all made. What on earth made you think this was a good idea?

Page generated in 0.03319 seconds with 8 queries