View Single Post
Old July 6, 2010, 12:25 AM   #17
trublu

G'day mate always good to see another Aussie here. I have "Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual" 7th Edition which I find very useful. However, I also use "Modern Reloading" br R. Lee 2nd edition and of course use this excellent resource here online.

Im a little confused as to what projectile you loaded.....You mentioned 158gr SWC, 138 gr SWC and 150gr....but the picture looks like a double ended wadcutter....

Often it is obvious where you should crimp. But one thing I like about "Modern Reloading" is that it lists a minimum overall length for loads with various projectiles along with the maximum OAL for that cartridge. I take it as an approximation since bullets will be different. But if my finished ammunition measures between the minimum and the maximum then I am happy im not going into dangerous territory.

API handbook lists a starting load of 4.1gr of AP70N up to max of 4.8 for a 135gr Lead projectile so 4.3 with a 138gr SWC seems ok but did you try some at 4.1 ? ..and this wouldn't apply to a DEWC (double ended wadcutter)

Modern Reloading lists loads of 4.1 up to 4.6 of Universal (which as you already point out is what AP70N is called in the USA) with a 135 gr lead projectile with a minimum overall length of 1.418 inches (36mm). (pg 563) and of course the maximum overall length is 1.550 inches(39.4mm). This is much longer than what you have posted...

I found a 148gr wadcutter load in "Modern Reloading" pg 565 which is 2.9 gr of Universal up to a max of 3.8 gr. This quotes a minimum OAL of 1.16 inches (29.5 mm). A .38 special case is 29mm long so it is really just loaded slightly past flush with the end.

However, I really don't understand you saying "Now, the data i found for 140 grain says COL of 25.957mm but I loaded these to the crimp groove, which made them 23mm."

I would recheck the measurements and also clarify what projectile you are using...you loaded 4.3 gr which seems to me to be much more than maximum for a .38 wadcutter...

Page generated in 0.04037 seconds with 8 queries