View Single Post
Old February 16, 2008, 10:18 AM   #26
45Dave

old school speed ball

This has been an interesting thread. Several people have mentioned paint ball and just wanted to pip in and say it can provide an introduction to some intense situations. It has been several years since I played along with my son (a dad and son bonding thing) however I wnated to mention the old school players.
There is a movement amongst the paint ballers for old school which means single shots, C02 cartridges rifel and pistols vs automatic gun play. (for those who do not know you can get full auto guns with firing rates in the 20 balls per second range, it looks like a rope of paint coming at you.) The old school play is close in, single shots with lots of rushing depending of you are playing one on one or teams. Often this senarios will be combinations of woods or in building depending on your course.
Just to see how you do on a larger scale try something like the a big game in your area. We use to have one here in Mich at Pickney, people from all over the US and world would come to play this non-stop game which would have 3thousand plus people on 85 acres. You will find out pretty quick how you react with 200 people charging your position or what happens when you round a building and are faced with several opponents who are surprised to see you pop around. Like anything, you get out of this what you seek and are willing to put yourself into.
Oh....if you guys are going to use paintballs be sure you go to a good course (they will be darn strict with gun handing rules, barrel plugs, mask behavior and crongraph guns on a regular basis) The first few times I was amazed at the excellent gun handling behavior of many of the kids. If you are going to make up your own game (we call this rouge games) be sure someone has a cronograph and keep your rounds under 300 fps (most guns are most acurate around 275 or so and getting hit with 400 tears skin, I know from experience. Please wear a mask or approved googles. Paintballs taste like **** but can do eye damage so a full face mask is all the better. The mask also introduces stress as it limits some of your visual imput from sides. You really have to develop the habit of moving your head to see the field of the game.

Page generated in 0.03202 seconds with 8 queries