View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 01:36 AM   #9
johnmcgowan

Funny you should ask as I patterned mine yesterday . Im going on a designated predator hunt the 3rd weekend of February here in Alabama and I was wondering just how good my Winchester ranger semi auto 12 ga/ 2 and 3/4 inch chamber with modified fixed choke 28 inch barrel would do with 00 buck for coyotes . Shot at 30 yards and all 9 pellets hit a full two sheet of newspaper, with a half decent group. 40 yards and it began to spread, all 9 pellets hit paper but it was drifting high and to the right. 50 yards and 5 pellets hit paper but not what I would call a dependable group by any means. I was sorta depressed after I saw this.
Then I wanted to see what #1 buck would do just for the heck of it.
I was pleasantly suprised to find that my choice will be the #1 buckshot for this hunt !! Even at 50 yards , all the pellets of the #1 did a good enough job on paper for me to trust it with trying to pop a yote, Granted , I dont think I would try a shot out past 50 yards, but I'll have my Ruger 270 by my side for those longer shots, if they present themself.
Now having said all that, you milage may very well vary. What my gun doesnt like, yours just may. You will just have to pattern it to see where everything hits at different yardage. Grab you up a few rounds of #1 buck to try while you are out there, hopefully they will do well for you. Report back and let us know how it went.
Good luck,
John

Page generated in 0.02816 seconds with 8 queries