View Single Post
Old January 25, 2006, 03:32 PM   #20
NavyLT

Nobody can say sitting behind their computers that you did anything wrong, especially not having been in the same situation, or actually anything close to it.

I do not currently have a CCW permit. But when I do I am going to ensure a few things about myself:

1. I will look up the state laws myself and understand them fully to the best of my ability. All the Florida law says is that you have reasonable expectation that a perpetrator is going to kill anyone, cause serious bodily harm to anyone, or forcibly commit a felony and you can shoot them.
2. I will try to put the welfare of others over my own welfare. Do I feel the responsibility to defend all law abiding citizens whether or not I know them? Yes I do, otherwise I wouldn't remain a member of the military after 21 years now. My home was invaded by a perp who kicked in our dead-bolt locked front door while my wife was at home alone. Our three dogs chased him out, thank God. We both have our handguns now and will shoot the next person who enters our home forcibly for the equal reasons of protecting ourselves, our family and any other future victims whom the criminal may attack.
3. I would practice enough (and I do, currently twice a week) to know the limitations of my shooting ability. You're right, a shot at a perp sideways in close contact with the victim is very hard, but I would hope to have the bravery and coolness of thought to quietly approach with my weapon drawn close enough to guarantee an accurate shot.
4. Never shoot at someone without the sole intent to kill them.

But, it is very easy to write this in the safety of this office not ever having faced a situation myself.

Page generated in 0.03657 seconds with 8 queries