View Single Post
Old July 19, 2006, 04:09 PM   #21
alan

Annealing of brass (cartridge cases) can certainly be done, however this does not answer a particular question.

Assuming that one is dealing with "standard calibers", that is calibers for which cases are readilly available at reasonable prices, is the effort worth while?

I don't shoot rifles much any more, however I did shoot High Power Rifle Competition (National Match Course and Long Range) for quite a few years. I used the 30-06 and 7.62 x 51mm NATO (308 Win) exclusively, loading either fired Match Brass or commercial brass (Winchester) purchased for reloading. Even with full length resizing, case life was quite long. I got in excess of 30 loadings out of a batch of Winchester 30-06 cases, without annealing. Using Match Brass, case life was quite long in bolt guns, and in the one Garand I owned, I got 20 plus firings prior to experiencing occasional HEAD SEPARATIONS, a problem annealing would not address. Never experienced neck splits or cracking with cases fired in my Garand.

If one is into serious case reforming, annealing is or could become another story entirely, however assuming that one is reloading those "standard cases", if it makes the individual happy to anneal case necks, I suppose it is not likely to do serious harm. How much good it will accomplish is another question.

Page generated in 0.04967 seconds with 8 queries