View Single Post
Old March 16, 2001, 12:19 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bulk powder - Yes. If you buy name brand powder in the larger containers, it is often quite a bit cheaper than if you were to buy it by the pound. Buying surplus powders is cheaper still.

Case forming - Well, that depends on how extensive a forming job you want/need to do. Some just require running the case through the proper die (such as .30 Remington through a .32 Remington sizing die to create that brass).

Others, such as making 7.65 Argentine from .30-06, requires forming and trimming. A little more complex.

Some of the MOST complex operatings require a lathe, such as turning the belt off a magnum case in order to make brass for a Newton rifle.

I don't know of any websites, but John Donnlley has an EXCELLENT book out on case forming which is available through, I believe, Midway.

Assembling rounds - Well, you can certainly get an expensive Dillon press that will allow you to do upwards of 1,000 rounds an hour, but that pales in comparison to the high-speed equipment used by the large manufacturers. Some of those machines can do, at full speed, 50,000 rounds an hour.

Bullet forming - You can do it at home. It just takes special presses and dies. Corbin I believe supplies a lot of the materials, including presses and dies, for home bullet assembly.

Steel cases - They can be reloaded. It's just an ENORMOUS pain in the butt depending on the case. I've done it, and it can be tough on the arms, tough on the press, and tough on the dies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries