Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

Njsportsman,

Looking at the cost of the Piggyback conversion ($375-$400) and the reviews on Midway, it seems to me to become a $550 progressive press when you include the cost of the RockChucker. I am concerned about the review that said there was a plate flexing issue with a large rifle case. This makes me think you would do better to get a simple single-stage kit like the Lee Anniversary Kit for learning, then buy something that was intended to be a progressive press in the first place later. It doesn't appear that will necessarily cost you any more in total outlay, and it puts off the larger portion of the investment, giving you more interest opportunity on that portion of the savings invested. This way you also end up with two presses.

The Lee single-stage aluminum press, while simple and light weight, is strong enough for your work (I've run .30-06 on mine with no issues) and will continue to be of use after you've gone progressive. This is because some elements of loading for rifle for accuracy will interrupt progressive work flow anyway. I have mine now set up with a Lee Universal De-capper die to deprime all my brass for cleaning grit off before resizing. That keeps primer residue from building up around the shell plate of the progressive press. I also use it with Lee bullet sizing dies to adjust some cast bullet diameters and to do bullet hardness testing and other odd chores.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03369 seconds with 8 queries