View Single Post
Old February 3, 2014, 03:25 AM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
To 'Sevens' - I was using the term -P colloquially, but I don't see why my concept couldn't be adopted and marketed as such. I disagree with your statement that it 'shouldn't exist'. I think it should exist, for reasons already stated. To reiterate: I would like a commercially available defense round that is between .44 Special and .44 Magnum in terms of muzzle energy but loaded in a .44 Magnum case to gain accuracy and reduce casing pressure (not a .44 Special +P). Also, your list of +P cartridges which have been standardized by SAAMI is incomplete; anyway, to say that one, whether it be an individual or a manufacturer, can't or shouldn't use the terms +P or -P simply to indicate more or less pressure, or that because it's not on your incomplete list of SAAMI +P's, that it doesn't and shouldn't exist is ridiculous. What I'm saying has nothing to do with lame marketing ploys, which I agree are simply that. I think there are several good reasons why your point, or lack thereof, is lost on your intended audience.
Naaa, I just seem to have trouble expressing what I mean in a way that's understood. I certainly do -not- mean (nor did I ever!) that what you are looking for, asking for, and wishing for should not exist. For sure, I actually do see fine reasons for wanting exactly what you're looking for, and MANY others do as well, and it is one of the finest benefits of handloading.

So I'll express it again in hopes that you see my intention: It's not that the product you desire shouldn't exist -- I am saying that when one big headed boutique ammo manufacturer elects to take a standardized chambering... then alter it... and THEN tack on a +P (as if that little +P is to any known standard...?), THAT method should not exist. In my opinion. It's a disservice.

What I mean is that simply giving it a name a tossing it out there steps outside the (almost universally agreed upon) guidelines. Buffalo Bore has done it in the past, IIRC, they've stamped it on some .380 Auto ammo.

But it doesn't exist, at least, in the industry as we've all pretty much agreed to accept it.

The ammo you specifically seek? Well, it has been done, and is done even right now. Unfortunately for you, it doesn't happen to be in .44 Magnum. But it exists in a litany of different "low recoil" loads in other popular chamberings. But... and here's the fun stuff: -NOBODY- stamps "-p" on it. Which is the smart move, since .38 Special-P doesn't exist as a real caliber on the SAAMI standard. Instead, they market it as what it is: .38 Special. (or whichever caliber... like the 85gr Hydra-Shock "low recoil" load in .327 Federal)

If the product you specifically are looking for were factory loaded and offered right now, it would be called a .44 Magnum product. It needn't run at full SAAMI-spec max pressure to be a .44 Magnum, it merely can't exceed that max pressure. If they make a product that exceeds that max pressure, it ceases to be a .44 Magnum and adding a little +P to it doesn't make it right.

As for what might be "missing" off the list of three "+p" cartridges I listed, I'll admit that I haven't checked with SAAMI recently. I've certainly heard arguments that one of the missing you may be referring to is a heavy .45 Colt load (commonly referred to as a Ruger/Freedom/T-C load) or perhaps the .38 Super+P, which notably isn't any higher in pressure or performance than the SAAMI standardized .38 Super already is... it's that some ammo companies have elected to stamp it on there because they are further concerned that it ends up in the (dimensionally identical) .38 Automatic platform.

I'll close with the same line I put in my earlier post.
This was written respectfully, and to the subject. NOT personally, as any manner of an insult. No matter how "RIDICULOUS" it appeared you when you read it.

Page generated in 0.03758 seconds with 8 queries