View Single Post
Old July 22, 2001, 11:40 PM   #4
Rebeldon

Deer poo is good.

No, not to eat. It is good to find it when scouting for a good hunting spot. Deer poo is a good start. Obviously, deer poo is a sign that deer go there.

I suggest that you buy some videos on deer hunting. They go pretty cheep at Wal Mart. Watch them over and over again.

Also, hunting for whitetails takes a lot of patients. I have known a few fellers that simply cannot stand to sit in a tree stand in the freezing cold waiting for hours and seeing nothing. Don't get discouraged on your first hunting trips if you don't see anything. The videos can be a little misleading. They only film when they spot a deer--not the two hours before they saw the deer. If you have all the signs that make you believe you have a good spot, don't go changing it too soon if you don't see deer right away. I made this mistake before, only to return to my original spot to see multiple deer tracks all around it.

A deer's sense of smell is its best defense. They hear well too. Deer do not depend on their sight to identify you as a human, but they are good at detecting movement, and they might not stick around to find out what you are. If they hear you or see you move, you might be able to fool them with a grunt ot two, and they just might feel safe and stick around. But you cannot fool their nose. Cover your scent! There are all kinds of soaps, from laundry detergents to shampoos, that can help you. I don't believe the Native Americans bothered to cover their scent, but then, they knew how to use the wind direction to their advantage. Deer are colorblind, so it really isn't necessary to spend $300 dollars on camouflage as if you were hunting turkeys (who have better eyesight than we do). The sporting goods store owner will tell you differently. A hat and a vest is usually sufficient. Move slowly. Camouflage will not hide your movement.

Last edited by Rebeldon; July 23, 2001 at 12:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.06148 seconds with 8 queries