View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 06:53 AM   #2
g20gunny

The problem wouldn't be the gas system and a piston system wouldn't be tougher than a D.I. system since adjustable gas blocks have been around longer than adjustable piston systems but people have steered clear of over charged loads.
The area of concern is the chamber and locking lugs. The ar15 is designed for a 5.56x45 and putting a 6.8 bbl greatly thins the chamber walls, think of taking a lightweight 223 bolt action and reaming it out to 6.8 spc and then adding pressure over that (since +p is plus pressure and not always a worthy velocity gain). I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the great 6.8 but it's good to keep a caliber for what it is, if you want a more powerfull caliber than 6.8 it would be safer to get an ar-10 platform in 308, 7mm/08 or 243 than risk blowing up a good gun (and maby fingers)..
Just my opinion, hope that helps.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington

Page generated in 0.02757 seconds with 8 queries