View Single Post
Old September 4, 2005, 12:13 AM   #1
Slateman

OK, I wish I had been carrying!!!

I've brought up the issue of carrying at my university. Well tonight, I wish I had been carrying.

Went to a party at my univ. Some guys, some girls. Basically it was a multiple dorm rooms party. Each one had a different drink and entertainment (one had football, another had HALO, another had a girl movie, ect.) About 9 or 10 rooms. Good times.

Well, the game ends and I figure its time to head out. Only had a couple drinks so I'm good to go. Chat for a bit and leave.

As I'm going along, theres part of a path that runs inbetween some trees on the way to the parking lot. And I hear what I think is an arguement. Well I take a glance and theres a struggle between this girl and a guy. At first I think they're just having a spat and I should mind my own business. Then he shoves her off the path and knocks her down and lands on top of her. Looked to me like he was attempting to undress her.

Well I finally realize its time to kick it into gear. At first, I reach for my knife. Oops, kinda left that at home. So I make a quick survey and grab a nearby branch. Then sprint towards him and pretty much unload on the guy's back. Branch breaks into like 100 pieces. Guess it was dead and dried. Needless to say, I got his attention. I grab his shoulders and heave him off.

Well he's ticked, naturally, so he charges at me. I block the punch he throws and use his momentum to throw him forward again. He goes crashing into a bush. Gets up and decides he's had enough and takes off. Help the lady up and we go see the on campus police. BTW - I swear to God, he was eating a donut. After the girl had calmed dow, we both had a laugh at this.

Some of the lessons I learned:

1. Knife. I just reached as an automatic reaction. I doubt it would have done any good. What was I gonna do? Cut his throat? Stab him?

2. Shouldn't have rushed in like that. Granted it worked, but it got me thinking. What if he had had a knife? I could have been in a world of hurt. Granted he had been drinking, but still, he seemed sober enough to act coordinated enough to use it. Coulda been messy for me. . . .

3. I gonna seriously think about concealed carry when I get my permit. I think gun would have been useful her. I tossed him off the girl a good 7 -9 feet away. Actually he stumbled for 4 or 5 of those feet. Make an immediate draw, take the girl, and slowly back away. That what I would have done.

This incident only furthers my desire to carry on campus. Over the summer, I was talking with a campus police officer. We have the largest student body in VA with 30,000+ undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students. As I was talking, he said, " We get stabbings all the time. I was actually really suprised by how many there are here. We had three last week!" Ever since then, I've been considering carrying. This incident only increases that desire.

So . . . . what did I do right? What did I do wrong? Would a pistol have made a difference in this situation?

Page generated in 0.02161 seconds with 8 queries