View Single Post
Old March 22, 2001, 08:09 AM   #14
Hot Core

Amen to Art's post.

Hey Redneck2, Art is right on the nose. Taking a few FPS off the Load is another great method to extend barrel life. In fact, "velocity" is not much of a concern to me at all. I do like a SAFE (near)MAX Load, for Deer hunting, but my good old tote around varmint/plinkers all seem to do right well at a SAFE non-MAX Load level.

I've got a buddy in Califoney who has been thinking about going to some kind of an Invitational PD Hunt. He is also considering taking a 223Rem 10" Contender, a 22-250 (hasn't decided which one) and an old AMT Custom Shop 22LR.

On his hunt, I think the 223 & 22-250 ammo is supplied by (maybe) Black Hills Ammunition. He has not had a chance to relate all the details. But, he is beginning to think he will have just as much fun with the 22LR.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with your Marlin 22Mag? Which ammo? Which model is it? What kind of scope? Everytime I go past one of those HEAVY (7 pound) Bull Barreled S&S Marlin 22Mags (M882SSV I think), my billfold wants to get out and dump cash on the guy selling it.

I have a M880SS 22LR that I really enjoy(?) shooting Off-Hand with my arm in a Hasty Sling set-up at 100yds. Sure is humbling for me and helps keep the mental image I have of my current shooting skills in a proper perspective.

By the way, if you do decide to go with the Moly Coating, there are a few tricks to it. Might be worthy of it's own Thread. For example, I rarely see people mention to "Wash" the bullets in "Dawn" and rinse well in real hot water, prior to beginning the Moly Coating. You need to be sure you get ALL the manufacturing oil off the bullet jacket as well as finger prints if you want them to Coat well.

Good luck to you on the hunt and lots of clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Page generated in 0.02873 seconds with 8 queries